Power BI in Schools
Microsoft Power BI support for schools
Practical support for schools that want to use Power BI to improve school performance and cut admin time. We show you how to organise your source data, build dashboards (simple and more advanced) and then share them with colleagues.
Our Power BI support is tailored to the needs of a non-technical school audience. We focus on solving the problems that busy schools face:
- Pull together data from different schools in your MAT;
- Find the best way to use Power BI to explore student attendance and achievement;
- Create a sustainable data management solution - use Power BI to cut the amount of time it spends organising/processing/reporting data;
- Make informed decisions. Share interactive reports (securely) with different audiences - senior management, teachers and trustees.
Create a different kind of school-wide data management and reporting solution. Implement Power BI in a way that encourages informed decision making - explore data, find insights and then make decisions.
Microsoft Power BI for schools - dashboard design, report authoring and trainingContact Us
How to get started with Power BI
Power BI is easy to get to grips with and it gives you the tools you need to create interactive data dashboards. Here are some suggestions for getting started.
- Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop - start building in-house expertise. powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/get-started/
- Use the support documentation on Microsoft’s Power BI website: powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/guided-learning/
- Identify a problem in your school where better access to data might be part of the solution. Perhaps you want a better view of predicted attainment across all departments?
- Choose one of your internal systems as a first source of data. Import some data into MS Excel - then connect to Excel from Power BI Desktop.
- Produce an early proof of concept/prototype and share it with colleagues. The point here is to introduce people to Power BI and gather feedback and ideas.
- Do further development of the prototype further. Extend it by bring in data from other data sources.
The Sheaf Digital Power BI for schools consultancy service is the place to start if you want more support. The initial consultation costs nothing and right from the start you will get ideas and advice to help you on your Power BI journey.
The Power BI Radar Chart is a nice way to show how a set of values varies across multiple categories. And you can add further sets - so one radar chart shows two or more sets of values against the spokes...More
This is one way of looking at student performance in Power BI. It’s a simple report built on top of single table of data about students and how they score in assessments....More
Here's how you can use the slicer visualization and a simple measure to filter time based data. The data is basic school attendance data...More